Categories
Articles

The US – Iran Conflict

 

The US – Iran Conflict

Written by Alfonso Elizondo

 

Today, Wednesday, January 8, Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said that with the two missile strikes on US military bases in Iraq he was satisfied and ready to enter into a peace agreement with the United States because in that way the murder of General Qassim Suleiman by American assassins had been avenged.

Although Trump said in a tweet moments later that he would make a statement on the case on Wednesday, January 8, on the morning when he mentioned that the damage suffered by their military forces in the region had been minimal, he did not come out to make the statement as promised.

 

According to Zarif, Iran’s Minister of War, ‘His country took and completed proportional measures in self-defense based on Article 51 of the UN Charter for the launching of cowardly armed attacks against our citizens and senior officials. He concluded by saying ‘We are not seeking escalation or war, but we will defend ourselves against any aggression’

 

While the conflict was intensifying in the Middle East, Putin flew to Damascus, Syria and met with President Bashar al-Assad. He said that there has been major progress in the restoration of the Syrian state since Russia has been giving them support.

At the same time, Putin described the murder of General Qassim Suleiman of Iran as illegal and he plans to meet with Erdogan, the president of Turkey in Istanbul.

 

Everyone knows that Russia is the only war power that can defeat the United States, so they respect and silently support Putin.

 

Addendum: Although the Iranian response seems very dangerous for the United States and for the whole world, the truth is that despite Trump’s extreme stupidity, messianism and paranoia, the world will not start another World War but  is instead preparing to live in peace.